Saturday, March 12, 2011

My favorite toasted sub sandwich


This weekend I made these tasty sub sandwiches for lunch and I just love them so much I wanted to share them with you all.
These would make a great week night dinner as well. They contain a few of my favorites like the caramelized onions and the roasted red peppers. I used roast beef in these, but turkey would work just as well. I like to use Swiss cheese, but choose your favorite cheese (provolone, Munster).  I just discovered some really good lentil chips at my local grocery store from  from a company called The Mediterranean Snack Company. There are several flavors but the sea salt and cracked pepper is really good, and we had those on the side as well as some leftover rice pilaf (from a box!). I just think this is a great meal for lunch or dinner.

Toasted roast beef subs with caramelized onions and roasted red peppers
Caramelized onions:
1 T vegetable oil
1T butter
1 large onion thinly sliced into rings
Salt and pepper to taste

Sandwiches: 
6 hoagie buns
6 T honey mustard
1/2 lb. deli sliced roast beef
6 oz. deli sliced Swiss cheese (12 slices)
4 oz. jar roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips

Heat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large skillet heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring every 3-4 minutes or so, until deeply golden (like caramel)  in color, about 15-20 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
On a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil, assemble the sandwiches as follows: Spread each bun with 1 tablespoon honey mustard.(a little on each side). Layer with 2 to 3 slices of roast beef, 2 slices Swiss cheese, a few strips of the peppers. Top with onions.
Bake in oven 6-7 minutes or until toasted and crispy.



Recipe by For the love of dinner, 2011




Cool tool: A Norwegian cheese slicer like this one cuts nice and thin slices of  harder cheeses like Swiss and Cheddar, and works great for shaving parmesan or manchego.


No comments:

Post a Comment