Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Deep dish omelet

This deep dish omelet is very similar to what we in the US refer to as Frittata (in our house we refer to it by its Norwegian name, "ostepanne"). It is a great way to empty out your fridge and use leftovers of veggies and cheese. Except for the leek, I had all the ingredients already in my fridge. I make a version of this on a regular basis, and  the beauty of it is that it is always different, depending on what I have available. This is the first time I have put potatoes in it (an idea I got from looking through my Ina Garten cookbook, Back to Basics). I left them unpeeled and it turned out great! My son was lamenting that there was no meat in it, and of course sausage or bacon or ham would be great, but I am staying true to my pledge of having one vegetarian day a week, so I left the meat out (he ended up eating three pieces anyway). As a side I made a really good salad using apples and pomegranate seeds (recipe to come).

Deep dish omelet with potatoes, broccoli and leeks
Lovely veggies!
1 T olive oil
8 large eggs
6 T milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup broccoli florets
1 heaping cup leeks, sliced thin
2 cups grated cheese (I used 1 cup Swiss and 1 cup cheddar)
1 t dried oregano
1 T butter

Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, over medium heat, heat oil and saute potatoes and peppers, until potatoes are tender about 12 minutes. Add broccoli saute another 3 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large skillet, over low heat, melt butter and add egg mixture. Sprinkle cooked vegetables evenly over the eggs. Add leeks and top with cheese. Sprinkle oregano over top. Cook covered, over low heat until egg has set, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.




Serves 6-8

Recipe by, For the love of dinner, 2011









No comments:

Post a Comment