Monday, March 21, 2011

Onion Tart

The past weekend was filled with good times spent with friends, and lots of cooking and good eating. I always feel like I have to "detox" after the weekend, and I put in some extra time on the treadmill this morning to jump  start my body back to reality. The latest issue of Cooking Light magazine was in  the mailbox on Friday and that is always such a treat for a foodie like me. There are many good-looking recipes in this issue, and some will undoubtedly be featured here. In fact, I immediately fell in love with the Onion tart and decided to try it right away. We had been invited to a dinner party at a friends house and had been asked to bring an appetizer. I had already decided to bring an artichoke dip (recipe to come), but I thought I'd bring both. The feedback was great. Everyone loved it, especially my husband, who asked me to make it again soon. I followed the original recipe which called for feta cheese, but when I make it again I will use goat cheese, which I think will be equally as delicious. I also thought that for serving smaller slices, the crust was a little overloaded with onions, so I have adjusted for that. You can of course serve it as a main dish of larger slices served with a side salad (Cooking light suggests an arugula and walnut mix with a simple red wine vinaigrette). Whatever you choose, I think you are going to love it!


Onion tart
1 T olive oil
Lots and lots of onion!
2 large onions, sliced
2 T chopped fresh thyme
3/4  t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
(such as Pillsbury)
1/4 cup (1 ounce)
crumbled reduced- fat feta
or goat cheese
1/4 cup (heaping) shredded reduce-fat
Swiss cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, salt and pepper; cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Roll dough out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle feta (or goat cheese) in center, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border; top with onion. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Fold piecrust border up and over onion mixture, pleating as you go. Combine egg and 2 tablespoons water; brush over dough. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes. 






Serves 8 as an appetizer, 4 as a main course.

(Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, April 2011)


No comments:

Post a Comment