Thursday, February 13, 2014

Broccoli Soup with Leeks and Thyme (GF)






 This is the broccoli soup I made to go with our baked potatoes. There are many recipes out there but this one stood out to me because of the addition of the leeks.
Leeks are not widely used here, but I really like them. I love to eat them raw in salads too! I also used them  here. The inspiration for this recipe came from Bon Appetit, but I gave it my own twist adding a little half-and-half and Parmesan cheese to it. My kids loved it with crumbled bacon. Enjoy!


When working with leeks it very important to clean them thoroughly. Dirt can sometimes hide several layers in .Cut a slit through the leek lenghtwise to open it up and rinse in between all the layers. Pat dry.


.


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups chopped leeks (about 3 medium), white and pale green parts only
6 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
11/4 pounds broccoli crowns, chopped
4 cups low-salt chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup half-and half
1/4 -1/2  cup Parmesan cheese




Preparation:
Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and 4 teaspoons of the thyme. Saute until the leeks are almost soft, reducing heat if needed to prevent rapid browning, 7-8 minutes. Transfer about 1/2 cup of leeks to a small bowl to use as garnish. Add broccoli and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil . Cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, 8-10 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender (in batches or use an immersion blender) until desired consistency. I like a few lumps but my kids don't! Season with salt and pepper. Add half-and-half and Parmesan to the soup and gently heat until cheese has melted and soup is warmed through. Serve immediately. Top with reserved leeks and remaining thyme.




Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment