Thursday, February 13, 2014

Basic Baked Potatoes




When I recently asked my kids for dinner suggestions my little on immediately called out "baked potatoes!".
We all thought it was a great suggestion. We all love baked potatoes! I obviously don't make them as often as I should even if it is super easy. This is one of those things that the kids love to customize for themselves with different toppings. I have previously published twice baked potatoes, but this is a more basic recipe and it cuts down on time and effort and the result is about the same. I made a delicious broccoli leek soup to serve alongside the potatoes (recipe here). It was a very satisfying and enjoyable meal.



Ingredients:
Large baking potatoes (1 per person is usually enough).
Salt and oil for drizzling.
Topping suggestions: Butter, sour cream, chives, cheese, bacon etc.

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 F. Scrub and dry the potatoes. Poke with a fork all over each potato. Place in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and salt.
Bake about 1 hour. Test for doneness with a knife. The flesh should be soft with no resistance.




Cool slightly. Then cut a slit down the long side of the potato make another across the short side. Open the potato by squeezing ends towards the middle. Fluff the meat a little and fill with your favorite toppings.













No comments:

Post a Comment