Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Pistachios


I  served this salad alongside my skillet potatoes. The kids and I all love pistachios. My little one (Nora, age 4 1/2) can sit for long periods shelling and eating these delicious nuts, so I named her my assistant and had her shell the nuts I needed for this salad. She really enjoyed that!
I highly recommend buying the whole nuts and shelling them yourself. They are just fresher and crunchier than the already shelled ones. The strawberries were the first local ones of the season bought fresh from the farmers market. I just love that there is such an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables available at this time of year. It just makes every meal taste so much better. I did not, however make my own dressing. These days life is busy, running to the pool, the park and keeping up with my 4-year-old, so a few shortcuts are helpful. I used a nice bottled poppy seed dressing and the final result was great. This is a very kid-friendly salad with its sweetness from the strawberries and the dressing. Keep it simple, keep it fresh!


Spinach salad with strawberries, pistachios and poppy seed dressing
I bag baby spinach
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup sliced strawberries
Poppyseed dressing, to taste

In a large salad bowl combine washed and dried spinach, strawberries and pistachios. Toss with dressing and serve immediately.




Serves 4-6


Recipe adapted from, http://www.livelovepasta.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment