Monday, June 6, 2011

Honey coconut oatmeal with Raspberries



There is nothing that starts your day off right like a nice bowl of homemade oatmeal. I am always happy when my kids ask me for oatmeal in the morning. Then I know they are off to school with full bellies of food that will actually sustain them throughout their morning. I cringe sometimes when I look at the sugary cereal they eat, and I try to hold back on buying them. They complain when I buy less sugary or supposedly healthier varieties. Personally I can't think of anything worse to eat in the morning than a bowl of Cocoa Puffs or Fruit Loops -Yikes!
Most mornings I have oatmeal for breakfast, and lately I have started playing around with it a little bit, just to keep it interesting. I may be light years behind all of you in the fact that I just recently discovered Almond Milk and I started using the vanilla kind to make our morning oatmeal. It is sweet enough that you really don't need any additional sweetener. It makes yummy oatmeal! Then I saw this idea on a totally random website and I tried it and loved it and so did my kids. Now even my 16-year-old is asking for oatmeal. You can't beat that!

Honey Coconut Oatmeal with Raspberries
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3 1/2 cups milk of your choice

A big bowl for Mama Bear!
(dairy, almond, soy, etc.)
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
4 teaspoons honey
1 cup raspberries












I make my oatmeal on the stove top,
but you can certainly do it in the microwave as well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, heat milk until boiling. Stir in oats. Cook about 5 minutes over medium -low heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, spread the coconut in a sheet pan and toast about 5 minutes, until golden.
Stir most of the coconut into the oatmeal, leaving some for garnish on top. Stir in the honey. Top with raspberries.


Little bowls for the little Bears!


Serves 4


Recipe adapted from www.newbalance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment