Monday, June 20, 2011

Grilled Cheese and Fried Egg sandwiches


This is not your average Grilled cheese sandwich! It is hands down the best one I have ever had! I haven't made anything really extraordinary lately (therefor the absence of postings last week), but I am really excited to share this recipe idea with you.
 This sandwich contains some of my family's favorites, fried eggs, bacon, gooey cheese, and my personal faves Parmesan cheese and basil. At the first bite I just closed my eyes and savored the blend of wonderful flavors, the saltiness of the bacon, the crunchiness of the bread, the warmth of the egg yolk, M-M-M. Need I say more? I served this for lunch with fruit on the side, but it would be a great light summer dinner too, paired with a nice salad. I think they came together in less than 20 minutes,  and my kids loved them! In other words, a true winner!

Grilled Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwiches
12 slices panchetta (Italian bacon)
2 tablespoons butter
8 slices sourdough bread
(mine were large so  I used 4 and cut them in half)
8 slices provolone cheese
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 large eggs
1 small green onion, chopped
Parmesan cheese shavings
Fresh basil leaves or arugula leaves



Cook panchetta in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towel. Reserve skillet with drippings.
Melt butter in  large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 bread slices; top each with 1 slice of Provolone cheese. Sprinkle with black pepper. Cook until cheese melts, 4-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat skillet with drippings over medium heat. Crack egg into skillet, cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 3-4 minutes.


Set 3 pancetta slices and 1 egg atop each of 2 toasts. Top eggs with onion, Parmesan, and basil.



I thought these looked so cute as an open face sandwich. And you cold serve them as such eating them with a fork and knife, for a more sophisticated presentation.


For the more traditional rustic grilled cheese, finish by placing remaining bread slices, cheese side down on top.



The egg will be runny, so make sure you have napkins or paper towels handy. Enjoy!


Makes 4


Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, 2011

1 comment:

  1. This makes a great breakfast for kids. I usually replace it with nutella as my kids don't prefer peanut butter.

    Cheese Sandwich and Fried Egg

    ReplyDelete