Monday, June 27, 2011

Skillet potatoes


The other night I put together this little cute meal. It is fairly light, so make this on a day when you don't feel like eating a huge dinner. This would be an excellent lunch as well and the potatoes could even be for breakfast, in lieu of hash browns. They would definitely be a great side dish with steak too.
I found both of these recipes surfing the net and they are both from fellow bloggers. As I have mentioned before my family loves potatoes and we eat them in many shapes and forms (see baked potatoes, potatoes au gratin), but this was a method I hadn't tried before, and I love the way they serve almost like pizza, although you have to eat them with a fork and knife. I made these potatoes according to the original recipe, but the possibilities with this dish are endless. Next time I would probably add some garlic and I think you could probably add either ham slices or pepperoni slices and of course bacon, to make it a meaty and more substantial alternative. I was a little nervous that the potatoes would stick to the pan (see note) and be difficult to get out in nice pieces, but the potatoes came out perfectly tender and did not stick! I was very pleased. And my family really enjoyed this dish. When the kids ask for seconds it is a good sign that they like something. I probably should have had more. But I will definitely make these yummy potatoes again. I served them with a really tasty Spinach Strawberry Salad with Pistacios and Poppy Seed Dressing (Recipe to come).


Note: The original recipe recommended using a cast iron skillet which tends to be naturally non-stick and heats up slower. Since I don't have one I used my regular stainless skillet. I just sprayed it well with cooking spray and kept it on fairly low heat.

Skillet potatoes
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (about 1/8 inch thickness)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Fresh or dried oregano


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Set your skillet over medium-low heat and spray generously with cooking spray. Place 1 layer of potatoes on the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Spread 1/3 of the cheese over the potatoes . Repeat this procedure 2 more times, so that you have 3 layers of potatoes, salt and pepper and cheese. Cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes.


 Pour in the heavy whipping cream. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes. If the potatoes get brown early cover with foil and continue baking until the potatoes are cooked all the way through.




 Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes. Slice into triangles using a pizza wheel and serve.



Serves 4


Recipe slightly adapted from www. livelovepasta.com

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful presentation for this dish, Lynn. Miss you! Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elisa! I'll visit soon.

    ReplyDelete