Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tasty Tilapia

I am not a seafood lover, but I do like most fish if it is prepared nicely. I often order fish when we go to a nice restaurant.
My favorites are salt water fish like Monkfish or Wolf fish. Ugly as they are on the outside, they are delicious to eat. These are commonly found on menus in Norway, but I have found them several times here in the US as well. My cooking repertoire is severely lacking in the fish and seafood department, but I am taking baby steps,  and this evening I made my first fish dinner in a really long time. And the result was surprising! My 9 year old daughter exclaimed right away, "this is really good, mommy!". Nothing makes me happier than when my kids like my cooking! We ended up being a little short of fish (even with one child missing). I could have made at least 2 more fillets for the five of us. Next time I make this I will double the amount of Tilapia. I served this in tortillas like a fajita. Very delicous indeed!

Tilapia with tricolor peppers and lemon parsley couscous
One 10 oz.  box plain couscous
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
1 T lemon zest
Salt and pepper
4 T extra virgin olive oil
4 skinless tilapia fillets cut in half lenghtwise, patted dry
2 lemons, cut into wedges
3 bell peppers (red, green and yellow), cut into strips
1 large onion, thinly sliced
Tortillas

Prepare couscous according to package instructions substituting chicken stock for the water. Using a fork, stir in lemon zest and 1/2 cup parsley, salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook, turning once, until golden-brown and just cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
Transfer to a serving platter, squeeze a wedge of lemon over each fillet and tent with foil to keep warm.
Using the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 T olive oil. Add bell peppers and onion and season with salt and pepper, cook until softened and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon the vegetables over the tilapia and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve with the couscous and remaining lemon wedges. Wrap in warm tortilla and eat as a fajita if you prefer.

(Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray magazine, March 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment