Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Make ahead, serve fast!


Wednesdays are always hectic. I volunteer in the kitchen at Meals on Wheels in the morning and I work at Cooks  in the afternoon. I usually make it home just at 6 o'clock.
I try to make something earlier in the day (during my 1 hour of "free" time), that can be ready to go in a matter of minutes. Before I left for work today I put together a curry chicken salad that will be served cold in pita bread. It only takes a few minutes to warm the pitas. In addition, we are having a few leftovers on the side. And as always, a bowl of apple and orange slices. Phew! What a day!

Curry chicken salad pita with grapes and almonds
1 lb.cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken), chopped (4 cups)
1 cup halved red grapes
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup minced scallions
2 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 cup low- fat mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2   Tbsp curry powder
2Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
2 Tbsp. each chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) and mint
6 whole- wheat pita pockets, warmed
Lettuce

Toast almonds lightly in dry pan (3-4 minutes).
Combine chicken, grapes, celery, carrots, scallions, and almonds.
Whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, curry powder, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper flakes.
Stir into chicken mixture along with cilantro and mint. Serve in pitas with lettuce.

 I found this recipe in a cooking magazine, Cuisine Tonight, that I randomly bought (something I often do!). There are many great dinner ideas in it and I will post my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment