Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Once a week Vegetarian.

Growing up in Norway, most of the food I was raised on was very bland and often very white (think white fish balls with white gravy over white potatoes!).  I always loved eating foods from other parts of the world, and coming to America, a whole new experience of cuisines from across the globe was at my fingertips. Thai and Indian foods are two of my favorites. Since we don't eat out a lot I am always trying to find recipes that allow me to have different ethnic foods in my own home. In addition, I have suggested that our family go vegetarian  one day a week. This received a very tepid response from the gang. But I intend to prove to them that you can have a flavorful and satisfying dinner that does not include meat. This curry is full of color and flavor. It exceeded my expectations greatly. It tastes very authentic and wonderful. With the adults this was a great hit (I include my almost 16 year old son here!). For the little ones it was too spicy, so they ended up eating rice and turkey sandwiches. Oh well, it's like I say: "it isn't what you eat but how you eat it" - together!

Vegetable curry
Adjust the heat in this dish by adding more or less red pepper to the curry powder.

1 1/2 t olive oil
2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
2 cups small cauliflower florets
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
3 t curry powder (with about 1/2 t red pepper mixed in)
1 cup organic vegetable broth
1/2 t salt
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
2 cans no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
3 T chopped fresh cilantro (Coriander)
3 cups Rice of your choice
1 cup plain reduced-fat Greek yogurt

Warm Naan bread

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes to pan; saute 3 minutes. decrease heat to medium. Add cauliflower, onion, and curry powder, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth and next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cilantro (Coriander); serve over rice with yogurt and Naan bread.

Serves 6, well.


(Recipe adapted from Cooking light magazine, October 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment