Monday, February 7, 2011

Amazing Alfredo!


So, a new week is upon us and I am thinking about  what to make for dinner in the coming days. I have some good ideas and a big piece of flank steak in my fridge, so stay tuned.
At my local grocery store, Kowalski's, they have a rack of recipes by the exit. I have looked at them from time to time, but don't think I have actually made any of them. A few days ago one recipe peeked my interest: Chicken Alfredo with sun dried tomatoes and basil. My daughter Vilde frequently asks me to make pasta Alfredo. It is one of her favorites. Sometimes we just get the Alfredo sauce packet and mix it up and toss it over any kind of pasta. That's decent, but I thought I would try a new version, and I usually like anything with sun dried tomatoes. This recipe exceeded my expectations. It was delicious! I felt like I was eating at a 5 star restaurant. Vilde and Ingrid both really liked it (Nikolas was not around to comment, and Nora was busy being the dinnertime music entertainer with her pots and pans). I am not sure what makes it so good. There is no "magic" ingredients, but the blend of flavors is perfect, although I added red pepper flakes to it to give it some "heat", and used more like 1/4 cup basil. Try it for yourselves and let me know what you think.

Kowalski's Chicken Alfredo with sun dried tomatoes and basil

1 (8.5 oz) jar julienne cut sun dried  tomatoes in olive oil and herbs, drained
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 pint heavy whipping cream (I used 1/2 whipping cream and 1/2 half-and half, because that's what I had in my fridge!)
1 T olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 T chopped garlic
1 t salt
1/4 t cracked black pepper
1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
1/4 t (or more if you'd like) red pepper flakes
1 lb pasta (I used rotini and jumbo macaroni shells, but penne or fettuccine will work well too!)
Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, add chicken broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat. gradually stir in cream and return to a boil, continue cooking until thickened (20-25 minutes).
In separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat; stir in chicken and garlic. Saute until no longer pink and juices run clear (about 10 minutes).
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil and red pepper. Stir in cream sauce and continue cooking just until heated through.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Spoon sauce over pasta, sprinkle with cheese.




Serves 6

Serve with crusty bread and salad. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Lynn, Love your blog! Congratulations on getting it started. I can see you're already having great fun with it. Keep it up. Happy writing! And happy cooking! I'll be following. :)

    ReplyDelete