Thursday, February 10, 2011

Skillet sloppy beef sandwiches



Sloppy Jo's is a very common weeknight dinner here in the US. I call it "Sloppy mess" !
I have never been a big fan of this sandwich, but the rest of my family likes it, so when I saw this version of it I was excited. It is so colorful and crunchy (unlike traditional Sloppy Jo's). Use prechopped peppers  to cut down on prep. time, and you will have dinner ready in about 20 minutes. Serve it with your favorite slaw. I will give you my  version. Happy eating!
Skillet Sloppy Beef sandwiches
Cooking spray
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup chopped bell peppers, (red, green and yellow)
1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1 (14-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
 with jalapeno peppers and spices, undrained
1/4 cup plus 2 T ketchup
6 whole-wheat hamburger buns


Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, return meat mixture to pan. Add corn, tomatoes, and ketchup; cook 9 minutes or to desired consistency. Serve on hamburger buns.



(Recipe adapted from Cooking light, Fresh food fast, 2011)
 

My favorite coleslaw:
1 bag coleslaw
1 bag sugar snap peas
1 medium red onion, diced
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup coleslaw dressing (I use Marzetti's),
a few drops of Roasted garlic vinegar mixed in.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss with dressing.



Serves 8-10





No comments:

Post a Comment