Monday, June 16, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote



I made this compote to pour over my Greek yogurt in the morning.
My favorite store bought yogurt has this fruit combo on the bottom, but it contains a lot of sugar and other ingredients I cannot identify or pronounce, so I thought it would be better to make my own clean and all natural version. I will likely use this (slightly heated in microwave) to top ice cream too. It is delicious! This recipe is relatively conservative on the sweetener  amounts used. Rhubarb is very tart so a certain amount of sugar/sweetener is necessary to make it pleasant. This is probably the minimum amount you could get away with. Using  honey to sweeten gives it a mellow smooth yummy taste and helps thickening it up a bit. This recipe gave me 1 medium glass jar plus 2 smaller ones. If it seems runny when it is done don't worry. It will thicken up nicely when cooled. Perfect for a piece of toast too!





Ingredients:
I lb rhubarb stalks, chopped
1 lb strawberries, trimmed and quartered
1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar

In a medium sauce pan over medium- low heat, cook rhubarb and strawberries with the vanilla bean (I did not scrape the seeds into the mixture but you could for an even stronger vanilla flavor.) Cook at a simmer until softened., about 10 minutes. Mash slightly for less whole fruit pieces. Add honey and sugar and cook until sugar has dissolved, another 5 minutes or so. Remove vanilla bean. Transfer warm compote to clean warm jars and seal tightly. Cool and store in refrigerator for several weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment