Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hummus


Finally, here is the hummus recipe I promised way back when.It has been busy around here since school got out last week. Lots of kids running in and out of my house all day long.
This is a basic traditional  Hummus recipe. Hummus is a Middle Eastern and Arabic food dip or spread, made from cooked mashed chickpeas (garbanzo beans) blended with tahini (sesame seed paste), olive oil, lemon juice salt and garlic. It is a healthy and delicious dip for veggies and crackers or as a topping for turkey burgers or veggie fritters (see here). My kids loved this hummus. They kept digging in with their pita chips as I was trying to take a decent photo. I am glad they liked it!

Ingredients:

2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 14.5-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained.
1/4 cup tahini
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon salt


A food processor with feed tube is ideal for making this, but I used a small chopper and it worked just fine.

Chop garlic roughly then add beans and process to create a uniform thick consistency. Stop and scrape down the sides of bowl as necessary.Add tahini, and process until smooth. Again, scrape down the sides and add oil, lemon juice and salt. Process until smooth. I liked the consistency I had at this point, but for a thinner dip, gradually drizzle in water by the teaspoonfuls until your ideal consistency. Garnish with red pepper flakes or cumin for some color. 






Makes about 1 1/2 cups


No comments:

Post a Comment