Monday, July 30, 2012

Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli a la Ina Garten



Sundays are often "clean out the refrigerator day" at our house. There are usually a few Tupperware containers of leftovers and with my weekly CSA there are veggies that need to be used up sooner rather than later.
This past Sunday I found myself with a lot of broccoli and cauliflower begging to be used. I started with the broccoli and found this enticing recipe from Ina Garten. I liked it mostly because I had all the ingredients on hand, or so I thought anyway. I usually have pine nuts in my pantry ( it is more like a cupboard!), but I found out that I was out. I decided it was not a big deal and since I was determined not to go to the grocery store I used roasted sunflower seeds instead. This turned out great. It just gave the dish that little extra crunch that I enjoy. This was a great side dish that I will definitely make again. As for the cauliflower, that will be used raw with the last of my broccoli in a cold salad (recipe to come).

Ingredients:
Broccoli, (about 2 lbs)
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Good olive oil (about 5 tablespoons total)
1 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (roasted sunflower seeds or toasted almonds)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (about 10 leaves)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk on the florets.




Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic over the broccoli and drizzle with 4 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. With your hands just toss everything together Roast for 20-25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.




While the broccoli is roasting grate the cheese, zest the lemon and chop the basil. Lightly toast the pine nuts.




Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with remaining oil and the lemon zest. Squeeze over the lemon juice. Sprinkle with nuts, Parmesan and basil. Toss lightly and transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.


Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment