Monday, April 18, 2011

Beef stroganoff




Jack Frost came back for a last blast (hopefully!) this weekend, shattering our enthusiasm for warmer days spent outside. While I am looking forward to all the spring and summer dishes I will be making soon, I went back to an old family classic yesterday, the always tasty beef stroganoff.
 I had had a taste of this dish recently from the cooking school where I work, and I knew my family would love it! My husband was very happy to see me making it. Apparently this is one of his favorite dishes. I didn't even know! I am not usually a big fan of mushrooms, but this is one dish were I actually don't mind them at all. The kids, however, picked them out. I served the stroganoff over buttered fettuccine, but rice would be good as well. I also made a beautiful Whole wheat bread with herb and cheese filling that I am exited to tell you about. Look for this recipe soon to come.

Beef stroganoff
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 ounces button mushrooms, halved
1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into strips
1/2 beef broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup sour cream
salt and pepper, to taste

Saute mushrooms in oil until well browned and set aside.
Brown beef until seared on both sides and set aside.
Add beef broth to the same skillet and deglace
(fancy word for scraping up the browned bits!),
reduce and set aside.
In a large skillet, add butter, onion tomato paste and sugar.
Stir in flour.
Whisk in chicken broth and wine and cook until thickened.
Add reduced beef broth.
Stir 1/2 cup of sauce into sour cream to temper.
Then stir back into sauce.
Add mushrooms and beef and heat through.
Season with salt and pepper

Recipe adapted from Chef Joe Zahner, Cooks of Crocus Hill, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment