Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Pumpkin White Chocolate Cookies with Cardamom Icing


It is fall and there is beauty all around.
Minnesota is one of those places which explodes in color during September and October. It is definitively my favorite time of year. On my drives around town and in my own neighborhood I am amazed at all the color and beauty. It is hard to capture it well in pictures so I just try to soak it all in. But I had to stop today on my way out of the back alley, to marvel at and photograph this tree. It is just so vibrant!



Completely on a whim I decided to make pumpkin cookies. This was after considering both pumpkin  bread and pumpkin scones. I can't tell you how happy I am with the result of this recipe. I used a basic recipe from Allrecipes.com, but I put my own twist on them. I  added ginger into the spice mix for the batter and mixed in some white chocolate chips. I drizzled them with a cardamom glaze. I just love cardamom, and I had a hunch it would pair well with the spiced cookies. And boy, is it ever good! If you are craving a pumpkin treat (aren't we all this time of year!) you definitely need to try these cookies.They are soft and moist, bursting with flavor .Your house will smell amazing and your family will thank you!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Icing:
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
3 tablespoons (or more) milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars. Add pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla, and beat until creamy. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips and stir a few times. Drop tablespoon size cookies onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool cookies and drizzle with icing.

Icing:
Combine confectioner's sugar, cardamom, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add milk by tablespoonfuls until desired consistency.




Makes about 28 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment