Monday, June 27, 2016

Lemony Green bean Pasta Salad


Last week our local newspaper had so many great recipes in its Taste section I couldn't decide what to make first!
Any recipe with the word lemony in the title will get my attention since I am a lover of all things lemony! Lemons make everything taste so fresh and bright, just what I craved in the heat. And my kids love green beans, so I decided it was the perfect side with some grilled chicken. I was sure that I had pistachios in my cupboard but when I went to fetch them I discovered I was out (insert frustrated emoji here!). I made the dressing without them and it was still great, but I imagine they will make it even more delicious. I love nuts in my salad so I felt a little cheated. Make sure you have some pistachios on hand and make this salad. It is so good!

Ingredients:
12 ounces dried penne or other tubular pasta
8 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon  fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons), divided
Dressing:
1/4 cup finely chopped roasted salted pistachios, plus whole roasted, salted pistachios for garnish (optional)
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (white wine vinegar works too!)
1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups loosely packed arugula
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shavings, for garnish

Preparation:
Bring a pot of generously salted water to boil over high heat, Add pasta and cook according to package directions, adding the green beans to the water during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain the pasta and beans, then rinse under cold running water. Drain again and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the thyme and 3 teaspoons of the lemon zest to the bowl, toss gently. In a medium bowl, whisk together the chopped pistachios, vinegar, shallot, garlic, the remaining lemon zest, the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Add oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly until blended. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Drizzle over the pasta mixture. Add the arugula and toss gently to coat. Garnish with whole pistachios and cheese. 

Serves 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment