Monday, February 9, 2015

Roasted red pepper pasta



I've been in a cooking rut lately. I haven't made anything outstanding in a while until I found this recipe Courtesy of The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. 
I have made several of her recipes over the years and I have loved them all. She does not skimp on the butter, or cream, or cheese in her recipes and that is probably why they are so delicious. I love roasted red peppers and thought it would be a nice break from the usual marinara I use on my pasta. I was curious to see how the kids would receive it too. I am happy to say that they loved it almost as much as I did, and they scarfed it all down in no time, no leftovers! Serve with bread to soak up the sauce and a salad and you have a complete and fabulous weeknight meal. The whole process takes under 20 minutes!!


Ingredients:
1 lbs Rigatoni or Penne pasta
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 large onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jar (15.5 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped.
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
Salt and pepper, to taste (1/2 teaspoon or more)
1/2 cup (or more) cream (I used half-and half.)
1/2 cup Parmesan shavings, plus extra for serving
Chopped parsley and/or basil for garnish

Preparation:
Cook pasta in generously salted water according to the package directions.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute a few minutes until onions start to soften. Add the chopped red peppers and cook a few more minutes , until hot. Remove the skillet from the heat. Carefully spoon the onion and pepper mixture into a blender. Place on the lid and puree mixture until smooth. This is delicious just as is too!




Reheat your skillet and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Pour the pepper puree back into the skillet. Add the broth, salt and pepper, and stir until heated. Pour in the cream or half-and half and stir until combined Taste and adjust seasoning.
Drain the pasta and add to the skillet. Add the Parmesan and parsley/basil, and stir together to coat the pasta. Serve with extra Parmesan and basil.






Serves 6



No comments:

Post a Comment