Monday, November 10, 2014

Lemony Zucchini Risotto


Earlier this fall my husband and I joined some friends for dinner at a fairly new and popular restaurant in town. The second I saw Lemon Zucchini Risotto on the menu I knew what I wanted to order.
Risotto of any kind is something I will often order when we dine at a nice restaurant (which is not often!). They are usually such a delight but this time I was very disappointed. First off: I don't think this risotto was made from Arborio rice which is a must right? I am not sure it is legal to label a dish risotto if it is not made from Arborio rice. The rice was also somewhat under cooked. In addition, the dish was heavy on the garlic and I could not detect any lemon. I really tried to find a hint of it underneath all that garlic! I told my dining partners that I could likely make this dish much better and authentic myself! Since then I have had this recipe sitting on my desk and I finally decided to make it this past weekend. I did not disappoint myself! This was a creamy, yet chewy, lightly garlicky but definitely lemony risotto. I was so happy with it! This made me realize that eating out isn't all it is cracked up to be. Home cooking is the best!

Ingredients:
7 to 8 cups well seasoned  hot chicken stock, as needed.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
Salt to taste
1 pound (about 3 medium) Zucchini, chopped
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine, like Sauvignon Blanc
2 teaspoons finely chopped lemon zest, plus some shavings for garnish
1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice ( to your liking)
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Pour stock into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Lower temperature and keep at a low simmer. You will be adding it by ladlelfuls throughout the cooking process.

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a wide shallow pot. Add the onion and cook stirring frequently until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and a generous pinch of salt. Cook stirring often until the squash is slightly translucent 3-4 minutes (I don't like them soggy!). Stir in the rice and the garlic, and stir until the grains separate and begin to crackle, 2-3 minutes. Add the wine, and stir until it is absorbed. Turn the heat down a little and begin adding the simmering stock a couple of  ladlefuls (about 1/2 cup) at a time. Here is your set up visual:


The stock should just cover the rice and should be bubbling at a medium boil. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid is just absorbed. Add more stock and continue to cook in this fashion, stirring in more stock when the rice is almost dry. You don't have to stir constantly, but stir often.
When the rice is tender\ all the way trough but still chewy, after about 25 minutes, it is done. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed.
Add another ladleful of stock and stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley and Parmesan. Remove from the heat The mixture should be creamy (add more stock if necessary). Serve immediately in soup bowls. Garnish with lemon zest and extra Parmesan. Enjoy!




Serves 6


(Recipe from New York Times, 2011)


You may also like:
Ham and Parsley Risotto















No comments:

Post a Comment