Monday, November 10, 2014

Basic Mashed Potatoes


Mashed potatoes is frequently on the table  around here especially in the winter time.
It is such an easy and inexpensive dish to make even for a crowd. Since Thanksgiving is creeping up on me I thought I would archive how I make my mashed potatoes. It is a staple with the traditional turkey meal. I have always loved homemade mashed potatoes and throughout the years I have picked up a few tricks here and there which has taken this simple basic dish to new heights. Personally I don't mind some lumps in my potatoes but a few years ago I tried using a potato ricer instead of the old fashioned potato masher, and I was totally amazed at the creamy and smooth result it created. I have been using it ever since. Another tip I have picked up along the way is warming the ingredients (the butter and dairy) before stirring them into the riced potatoes. It just makes it silkier and more delicious. For every day meals I use low-fat milk but for special occasions I typically use half-and-half and if I really want to be fancy I use cream. I have also found that golden potatoes work better than Russets. The amounts below are meant as a guide and you can add more or less of anything until you reach your optimal result.

Ingredients:
3-4 pounds  potatoes (About 9 large. I prefer Yukon gold)
1 stick butter (4 oz./113 grams), melted
1/2-3/4 cup milk or half-and-half, slightly warm
Salt and pepper to taste (typically 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
2 tablespoons chives, chopped, for garnish (optional)









Preparation:
Peel potatoes and and cut into quarters. Put into a large pot and fill with cold water to just cover the potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer vigorously for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain water and let potatoes cool about 5 minutes. Rice potatoes, a few at a time into your pot, set over lowest heat setting. Add melted butter and milk. Stir until liquid is just absorbed. Don't overwork the mash. Season to your liking with salt and pepper. Top with chives.





Serves 8


For another twist on mashed potatoes check out this version with bacon, Baked mashed potatoes





No comments:

Post a Comment