Monday, December 23, 2013

Pear Cranberry Sauce


This has been my trusted Cranberry sauce recipe since my first Thanksgiving celebration in the US.
Before that time I had eaten turkey only two times in my entire life. It was fairly uncommon in my family back home in Norway. That first year my husband and I were invited to a pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner and I was asked to bring the cranberry sauce. I looked at my husband who looked right back at me. He had no clue how to make it and I wasn't even sure what it was. I consulted a good friend who is a great cook and she gave me this recipe. It was incredibly easy and fabulous. Everyone at the party raved about the cranberry sauce I had brought and I was very proud. With this kind of success I never bothered to look for other recipes, so this has been a staple with the Thanksgiving meal ever since (going on 20 years!). My father in-law loves this sauce so much I started making some for him as a Christmas gift. It makes him so happy! Merry Christmas!

Ingredients:
4 cups cranberries (1 bag)
2 cups coarsely chopped pears    
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier  (optional )


Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in Grand Marnier. Cool and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.






Yield: 6 cups


No comments:

Post a Comment