Thursday, September 12, 2013

Celery Root (Celeriac) Soup with Apples and Bacon (GF)





I am really jump starting soup season today with this smooth and delicious celery root soup.
Summer is still going strong here, but hot soup has been off the menu for long enough. I couldn't help myself when I saw this recipe on Trines Matblogg (my favorite Norwegian blogger). I have never cooked with celery root before but I was intrigued. I really have yet to meet a soup I didn't like, so I wasn't too worried. And the bacon, apple, celery garnish sounded like a great compliment to the soup. I was not disappointed. The celery root is actually much more mellow than I expected. Not too bad raw either. Would be great shredded into a salad. I am glad I discovered this ugly gnarly vegetable and its uses. It made a great soup that I will definitely make again. Let soup season begin!




Don't let the ugly appearance of these bad boys scare you. They cook up surprisingly mild and smooth. Cut off top (tail) and bottom. Peel with a knife. They are too gnarly for a regular vegetable peeler.
If you are not cooking them immediately keep them submerged in water with a squirt of lemon.


For the soup:
2 medium Celery roots, peeled and cubed
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 shallots, finely diced
2 green onions, sliced
Butter and/or oil for sauteing
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup half-and-half (or cream)
Salt, to taste
Cayenne, to taste (Be careful!)


For the Bacon, apple and celery garnish:
1/4 lb bacon, chopped
1 apple, diced
1 celery stalk, sliced thin crosswise
Fresh Thyme
Good Olive oil for garnish

Heat butter and/or oil in a heavy large saucepan. Saute celeriac and potatoes about 2-3 minutes. Add green onions and shallot and cook another minute or so. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Let vegetables simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes. Puree soup with an immersion blender (or a regular blender.) Add milk and half-and half. Adjust until you have the consistency you want. Bring the soup to a gentle boil and season with salt and Cayenne.

While the vegetables are boiling, cook bacon pieces in a frying pan until crisp, add apples and celery and cook another minute. Set aside.




Serve soup with a heaping tablespoon of garnish. Sprinkle with thyme and a light drizzle of olive-oil.




Serves 4-6 people (depending on how hungry they are!)


No comments:

Post a Comment