Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cauliflower, carrot and Brown Rice Quiche (Gluten-free)



 This is not a traditional quiche being that there is no crust. But trust me you will not miss it.
This is a healthier and very filling quiche that was a big hit when I served it for dinner last night. Around here we love cauliflower, so I suspected it would be received well. But with kids there are no guarantees, so I was very happy when they ate it with glee. It was a little more time consuming to make than I realized (about 2 hours from start to finish). The brown rice takes a while to cook, but could easily be made ahead of time (cook up some extra if you are making a stir-fry). This would shave off about 1/2 hour of prep time. But even though it needs about 45 minutes in the oven it is well worth it. I actually like dishes that needs some time unattended in the oven. It gives me time to do other things, like listening to my 1st grader going on and on about all the little things that happen at school, on the bus, at lunch etc. So go for it! I think you will really enjoy this gluten-free version of a quiche. And boy is it ever good cold the next day!


1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
2 cups chopped onion
3/4 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon crumbled sage
2 cups chopped cauliflower
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
4 large eggs

Add the oil to a medium sauce-pan set over medium heat.
Add onions and saute, reducing heat as onions softens (you don't want them to brown).
Cook until golden an sweet. Add rice and stir, cooking until grains are fragrant and heated through.
Add stock, salt and herbs and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to lowest setting. Cook 30 minutes, add cauliflower and carrot, cover an remove from heat and let stand to steam about 10 minutes, Uncover, fluff, and let cool about 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large bowl, stir cooled rice mixture with half of the cheese and all the eggs. and scrape into a greased pie pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 45 minutes until golden on top and firm to the touch (cover with aluminum foil if it gets too dark on top). Slice and serve.









Makes 6 servings


(Recipe adapted from Real food Magazine, 2013)

Tip: The next time you are chopping onions for a dish, chop a whole lot extra and keep it in your fridge for another dish. I find that I use a lot of chopped onion and I am trying to always have some ready to go. It came in handy in this recipe. I was very proud of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment