Sunday, August 5, 2012

Massaged Kale salad with Mango



I bet you this post title made you curious! Massaged kale? really? At least that was my reaction when I heard about it.
This week there was a big bunch of red and green kale in my CSA box* . In every box there is also a newsletter from the farmer with updates on the growing season and what we can expect to see in next week's box. There are also recipe ideas and this was one of those. Actually it was more like a hint. It said: "Try looking up a massaged kale salad online, they are all the rage". And so I did, and what do you know, there are many recipes on massaged kale. The massaging part is really hand tossing the raw kale in oil and salt until it becomes soft and pliable. It is amazing how this 2-3 minute massage changes the rough and chewy kale into a soft and delicious salad green.  I looked at a few recipes online, but I liked the ingredient list in this one with the small addition of red onion. And the result exceeded my expectations. This is a fantastic salad! Perfectly crisp and sweet and tangy. I think my family was really surprised at how good raw kale could be. I know I will be making this salad again very soon. And it is great even the next day. It doesn't go all limp and soggy like regular salad greens. I served it with a simple grilled pork loin with Balsamic-Honey Glaze (Recipe here). It was a great meal!

Salad ingredients:
1 large bunch kale, stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
1-2 lemons, juiced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Coarse salt
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
A handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds, about 3 rounded tablespoons)




Wash and trim the kale. Give it a whirl in the salad spinner. This is my 5-year old's favorite job in the kitchen.




In a large bowl, add the kale, half  of the  lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2-3 minutes. Set aside while making the dressing.




In a small bow, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes. Pour the dressing over the kale and add the mango, onions and pepitas. Toss and serve.




Serves 6


(Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network 2012)


*CSA - Community supported Agriculture
You pay the farmer up front and he/she brings you a weekly box of the season's crops (June-October).

No comments:

Post a Comment