Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Indian Chicken curry Soup with carrots, apple, ginger and Chili




Even though I have found little time for my blogging this year this recipe is just too good to not be shared with all of my friends. It comes from my favorite Norwegian food blogger Trine at www.trinesmatblogg.no She has reached somewhat of a celebrity status in the Norwegian cooking world, and for good reason.

Her site is beautiful, the photography and styling is amazing, and her recipes are fantastic! I have wanted to make this Indian chicken curry soup for a while, but I wasn't sure how it would go over with my kids. However, yesterday was a blustery and dreary day perfect for a warm and delicious soup, so I decided to go for it. I thought the soup was amazing, and as it turned out so did my kids! That made me so happy. I did make a few small adjustments from the original recipe. Mainly I substituted the red chili it calls for with a mild red pepper. I also opted for using the coconut milk as opposed to cream. And I was careful with the curry amount as well. For my youngest daughter Nora (5) I scooped a small amount of mainly chicken  and a little soup into the bowl and mixed in a little extra coconut milk. She ate it all! So now  I urge all of you to try this soup and tailor it to your own palate. Have fun and Enjoy!

This recipe makes enough for 4-5 people.

1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 red chili, diced, or 1/2 a red bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
3-4 medium sized carrots, grated
1 large  apple (Granny Smith works well), grated
2-3 (or more) teaspoons curry powder
1 carton (32oz) Chicken broth
1/2 can (about a cup) lite coconut milk (or cream if you like!)
3 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped




Chop the first 6 ingredients as indicated above so that you have everything ready to go. Start by sauteing the onion, garlic, Chili/pepper and ginger in oil (olive or grape seed) over medium heat until onions are shiny and soft. Add carrots and apple and the curry powder and let this cook for about a minute or so. Add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer approx. 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare and cook the chicken ( I did this in two batches). When chicken is done add it to your soup pot together with the coconut milk, and bring to a gentle boil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro right before serving.




Nan bread and yogurt goes well with this soup. 

(Takes 30-35 minutes to make, including prep time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment