Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Slow-cooker beef and tomato stew

I


I came upon this recipe in Everyday Food, a small recipe booklet from the kitchens of Martha Stewart. I love this little magazine. It is always chuck-full of delicious recipes and ideas. I have made many of them and Martha never disappoints. I was so happy to see a slow-cooker recipe in the latest issue and it was the first meal I made in my new slow-cooker.
And I have to say it was a success. I put the ingredients in the cooker, turned it on and went to work. 7 hours later I was having a delicious stress free dinner with my family (and have I mentioned clean up is a breeze?) So get out that dusty slow-cooker you have stored away and enjoy this healthy, tasty meal. 

Slow-cooker beef and tomato stew
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced small
3 medium carrots cut into bite sized rounds
3 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 pounds stew meat
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups brown rice
Non-fat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook stirring frequently until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.


Transfer mixture to a 5-6 quart slow-cooker and add beef, tomatoes, broth, garlic. 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.


Cover and cook on high, 6 hours, stirring occasionally (my husbands job!)
Keep warm while making the rice.
Top with yogurt and parsley (I loved the creamy tang of the yogurt on this!)
Enjoy!


1 comment: