Friday, April 10, 2015

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala with Cucumber Cilantro Relish


This is the easiest and most delicious meal I have made in a while.
I am a huge fan of Indian food. I just love the warm spices and the depth of flavors. Some Indian recipes can be quite elaborate with an ingredient list a mile long, so when I saw this 7 ingredient slow-cooker version of chicken Tikka Masala I jumped on it right away. I couldn't believe how good this was! It was just as good and authentic tasting as other versions I have made of this dish, with many more ingredients and much more work. I savored every bite! I absolutely loved the addition of the cucumber relish garnish. It added another layer of flavor and texture to the dish that was fantastic! Serve over your favorite rice with Naan bread and a dollop of Greek yogurt or Raita. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 -3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Garam Masala (Indian spice blend)
Salt and pepper, to taste
11/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup heavy cream

2 cups cooked rice (Basmati, Jasmin or brown)

Preparation:
Combine first 5 ingredients in a slow cooker. Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, on low for 7-8 hours or on high about 4 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, start preparing the rice according to package instructions. Just before serving, stir in the cream and heat through.


Cucumber Cilantro relish:
I had a regular American cucumber on hand that I used for this, but in general I like to use English cucumbers which do not need peeling or de-seeding.

Ingredients:
1/2  English cucumber, halved and sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper

Preparation:
In a small bowl , toss the cucumber slices and cilantro with the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 8 hours).




Serves 4-6


(Recipe adapted from Real Simple)

No comments:

Post a Comment