Thursday, July 25, 2013

Gluten-free banana muffins


During these warm summer days it seems that bananas have an extra short shelf life. I constantly have browning bananas staring at me from the fruit bowl and I say :" it is too hot to turn the oven on!"
Well with a bunch of bananas ripening by the second and a cloudy sky, I quickly decided to mix up my new favorite banana bread recipe. Every time I have made bread from this recipe courtesy of Taste of Home, I am so happy with the result, especially considering it is gluten-free. My journey in gluten-free living and cooking continues with mixed results. Especially baking is a challenge. But this recipe is a welcome relief among many disappointments. You really cannot tell that it is gluten-free. My kids love it! The bread or muffins in this case, bake up fluffy and moist just like any regular wheat based bread would. It is about time I sat down to document this recipe for myself and anyone else looking for gluten-free baked goods that tastes like the real thing!

2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
(I like King Arthur's)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)    
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Optional add-ins:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
and/or 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350  F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. At this point you can mix in nuts and/ or chocolate chips (or just sprinkle nuts on top before baking).

Transfer dough into loaf pan(s) or muffin pan coated with cooking spray. This recipe makes enough for two 8 x 4-in loaf pans, 1 large 9 x 5 pan or about 20 muffins. Cooking time is approximately 40-65 minutes for breads and about 17 minutes for the muffins. Check with a toothpick inserted near the center. When it comes out clean your bread or muffins are done. Cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing to continue cooling on wire racks. Serve while still warm.






No comments:

Post a Comment