Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gluten-free Oatmeal chocolate chip Cookies




As I am sitting down to finish this post I can hear my 6-year old in the kitchen saying :
" I just loooove these cookies!". And that is all the feedback I need really. She must have had about 5 of them by now. And I have had a few myself. This is the perfect cookie; crisp around the edges and nice and chewy in the middle. I like that you don't need any specialty flour to make these gluten- free. You make your own by grinding some of the oats. Genius!


For a batch yielding about 3 dozen cookies you need:
4 1/2 cups gluten-free
old-fashioned oats, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup cranberries or raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a blender, process 1 1/2 cups oats into fine meal. Whisk together ground oats, cornstarch, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. With mixer on low gradually add oat mixture, beating until combined. Then with a spatula fold in chocolate chips, cranberries and remaining 3 cups oats.
In batches, drop dough in 2-tablespoonfuls mounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure there is plenty of space between them as they will expand quite a bit.





 Bake until cookies are golden brown at the edges, 15-18 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack a few minutes, then transfer to rack and let cool completely. Enjoy!








(Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food,  October 2012)

Update Aug. 28, 2013




I made these today and used chopped pecans instead of cranberries. Turned out delicious! Next time I will make them with coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment