Friday, May 13, 2011

Chocolate Heath bar ice cream cake


This is the Chocolate Heath bar ice cream cake I made for my son's 16th birthday this past week. I know a couple of people who are eagerly awaiting this recipe, so I am posting it ahead of my intended schedule. This cake was a huge hit at my house! Everyone, including myself, were so surprised that you can make your own ice cream and cake that tastes even better than Dairy Queen's! This cake is a take on another Norwegian treat that you are very likely to find at any celebration. It is traditionally called Daim cake, which is the name of the crunchy toffee chocolate used in making it. If you have an Ikea store close by you can purchase it there, if not the Heath bar is an almost exact match.
This cake was one of my mother's favorite cakes to make for festive get-togethers. She would make the traditional version which has a nutty cake base, most commonly ground almonds, though I have had it made with hazelnuts as well. However, If there is one thing my kids tend to complain about in my cooking it is the use of nuts. They really don't care much for them, which is a shame because I love nuts in just about anything! Hopefully they will grow out of this dislike for nuts. So, being that this was my son's birthday cake I decided to make a chocolate base for the ice cream, and this turned out delicious. We finished all but one little piece of it that we all fought over the next day. My kids are already begging me to make it again.




Chocolate Heath bar ice cream cake
Cake layer:
5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 dl/ 1/2 cup sugar
1dl/ 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 (175) degrees.
In a small saucepan, melt butter and cool. In a large mixing bowl, mix together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Stir in the butter and the dry ingredients and mix until batter is smooth. Pour batter into an 8-inch spring form cake pan, bottom covered with parchment paper. Bake cake in 350 degree oven on the bottom rack for 15-20 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan. Loosen cake from pan by running a sharp knife around the edge of cake pressing against inside of pan. Remove cake from pan and discard parchment paper. Clean the cake pan and put the cake back into the pan.

Ice cream layer:
4 egg yolks
100 grams/ 1/2 cup sugar
3 dl/ 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 1.4 ounce Heath chocolate bars, crushed
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar until white and fluffy. Whip the cream and fold into the sugar and egg mixture. Fold crushed chocolate into batter (save some for the top!). Pour the batter into the cake pan over the chocolate cake. Smooth the top with an offset spatula and sprinkle remaining chocolate over the top. Put cake in the freezer for at least 2 hours. When the cake is frozen it releases easily from the pan. Remove cake from the freezer 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream if you like.




Serves 6-8



Recipe adapted from a couple of recipes from my trusted website for cakes and treats, www.detsoteliv.no

No comments:

Post a Comment